Monday 26 March 2012

Beauty Book Review: Style Eyes by Taylor Chang-Babaian

Through the blogging and YouTube community I have developed a genuine interest in and love for all things beauty/make-up (and would actually really like to go on a professional make-up course at some point).

I have starting experimenting with different make-up looks, and whilst i'm not quite confident enough yet to 'showcase' (i.e. do tutorials etc) any of my looks on my blog or YouTube, I have enjoyed practising on myself and other people, and am always on the look-out for new sources of inspiration.

My friend recently have me two books to look at for this purpose: Style Eyes, and also Express Make-up by Rae Morris (review to come).



Style eyes is the second book by makeup artist Taylor Chang-Babaian.
Taylor is considered one of America's top makeup artists in the fashion, magazine, music, film and television industries. Her makeup tips have been featured in the likes of Town and Country, Instyle and Glamour, and she has appeared on several American TV shows including Dr. Phil Extra and Fox News.



Taylor's first book, Asian Faces, focused on the various make-up needs and styles of Asian women, but now with Style Eyes she is approaching women of all ethnicities but also focusing on what could be considered the most challenging part of makeup application: eyes.



The book covers everything from shaping your eye brows to applying false lashes.
There are step-by-step instructions for every look and technique, explanations, definitions, tips and tricks.



I especially loved the detailed how-tos for different eye shapes and lids. Those should give even the most inexperienced users a good idea how to create a polished look that really fits their features.

I also like that when recommending product types to use (i.e. tweezers, brushes etc), she doesn't actually recommend/push particular product brands - so for example she never says "buy Tweezerman tweezers or MAC/Bobbi Brown brushes" - and therefore you don't feel excluded if (like me) you can't afford certain products due to their price.

I've included some of my favourite images (taken by Albet Sanchez) below simply because they're so colourful and beautiful - there are less complicated, every day looks in the book too!



For a fairly inexperienced makeup junkie like myself, Taylor's tips are succinct, straight-forward, and well-explained. It's nice to see a book that's easy to understand, even for beginners, and to see "functional" pics -as opposed to simply being eye candy. Don't worry, there's still some eye candy in the book, too as you can see from the pictures above!

You can get Style Eyes on Amazon for £13.59 (RRP £15.99), and I personally think it is worth every penny for those wanting to expand their knowledge of eye makeup.

Have you read this book or have any to recommend?

Melanie x

0 comments:

Post a Comment